Saturday, February 26, 2011

Thursday, 27 January 2011. A new day.

(Note: I wrote this Blog the second morning after I learned that the Bishop had appointed me to leave Skyline after 14 years. At the time, I did not know which church I would be privileged to serve, but only that I would have to leave.)

I am slowly getting used to the idea that this Summer will mark the end of 14 years of service as a co-pastor among the saints gathered at Skyline United Methodist Church. In these few days that mark the savor of that growing idea - while at the same time not knowing about what the next invitation to serve will involve - I have the luxury of reflecting solely on what these past years of ministry have meant to me and to others.

That I understand this waiting time as a luxury marks the gift of wisdom in this time of waiting and watching with Jesus. Even though most times I sleep; yet he rouses me. I have felt the sleep of emotional numbness as I have given vent to my darker angels in the past couple days - mostly to Vicki. A quarter of my life - how that phrase has become something of a mantra, meaningless beyond an expression of exasperation. Longevity cannot by itself reveal any self-apparent truth about the meaning of my life.

I have lived in the unfolding of the time here among a particular group of people (always changing and transforming before my eyes, even as I have changed and transformed in relation to them and apart from them). We have blessed each other with our lives of faith in the midst of circumstances beyond our control and beyond our understanding. We have honored the relationship between us as best we could, learning to live with the ways in which our actual choices do not match our expectations of ourselves and each other.

I have known much grace here, much inner growth, much sorrow, and a great deal of joy. Together we have built a living monument of praise to God, and a house of hospitality to the strangers in our community who have become our companions. We counted the cost as best we could, but we could not have known the true cost - so we have learned to live with the consequences of launching into unknown and unproven territory. And in a way, my leave-taking at this particular time marks a necessary payment of that debt we incurred in the hopes and growing convictions of our prayers.

I have always known that it would be me who would be called to head out into the waters of the unknown - who would depart on a voyage of discovery to a far country. If that is payment to secure the victory we have long pursued, it is a payment I am glad to make, on my behalf and on behalf of so many others. And truth be told, I relish the promise of cutting the lines to shore and putting to sea again. Joy commented that I have tasted the bitterness of rejection of the prophet in his own country. She hopes that in that far country, I will find a people thirsty for the passion that is my life.

Yet in this blessing of time before the lines are cut, God invites me to discern what has happened here, to me and through me. I have chased the wind of uncertainty too long since Derrick called; now I can attend to the blessing placed in my hands: the gift of knowing where I stand before launching into a new place among a new people.

The flood of versions of this story give the impression that nothing - or only one thing - can be known about what this time together has meant. Joy wisely reminded me that no pastor acts alone, but that we all are products in so many ways of the people who gather at the churches we serve. My unidimensional pronouncements - of any flavor - take flight from the delusion of my autonomy.

Then, too, there is a deep context we ignored at first, but which asserted itself as the years unfolded. We merely added a chapter to a story told by others in and beyond the church called Skyline. The first seven years here marked my ignorance of that story; the second seven blessed me with a vision that we were neither alone nor singularly responsible for the undoing of nearly everything we had done when we arrived here.

Besides the context of a stagnant, conservative, homogenous demographic, we inherited a story of volatility, transition, conflict and mistrust between laity and clergy, and schizophrenic theological identity. What we have built together here has become an oasis of hospitality to strangers and all manner of spiritual searching - and that not without cost. Yet even the cost itself marks a measure of spiritual maturity here that fits into the larger story of Skyline.

From it's inception, this community of faith has always been marked by an invitation to costly investment of self and to a demanding and unsettling wideness of understanding spiritual hospitality. We have not buried that talent, but have consciously nurtured it in the fires of anxiety, indifference and hostility. Time and again, we have traded away comfort for what we discerned together to be faithfulness to a Savior who died to set all people free and who called us to take up our crosses and follow.

As co-pastor here, I have certainly made my share of mistakes. I have been impatient for change and I have talked when I could have profited more by listening. At first, I spent too much time working on the wrong kinds of things, and at the end I struggled daily with the paralysis of what I perceived to be a world without a map. Yet for all of these mistakes, grace abounded in and beyond the walls of myself - expanding even my notion of self.

So many walls came down for me while serving here with Vicki and with the saints at Skyline. Through it all, we never seemed to forget our first love. We witnessed the power of Christ to break down every barrier that separated us from each other and from God that we forgot what it was like to live beyond faith; we assumed God would act to strongly support our hearts that belonged to God alone. The horse would talk, though we could not know when or how.

More than anything else, I learned to walk by faith here among the saints at Skyline. I did not teach this trust, but I participated in the way this entire community claimed it. Each one mattered (and matters) far more to any of us than the 99. For us, the time was always propitious to follow in the path of faith, though we walked through the valley of the shadow of death. We learned to trust in God together, not measuring the consequences of our action but realizing the enormity of the cost of inaction.

Perhaps it is no mere coincidence that I am physically stronger now than when I arrived 14 years ago. The past seven years of famine have been for me a time of unprecedented growth in soul and body, as if I have been training for some great event. And regardless of the future, I have come to know that the event for which I train is the unfolding of each day following God to places where darkness pretends to reign. Though I cannot light them all, and though no one else may know, I have the strength to light up the darkness - and to bear witness to the light - wherever and to whomever God calls and sends me.

There is no good time to do a wrong thing. Skyline is the place where heaven and earth meet. We are on a journey of faith, and though we are on vastly different places in that journey, yet we can journey together. You preach the Gospel - we will run the church. Festival of Light. All means all. God bless our pastors. Jesus saved my life. I have been searching for a place like this. Come as you are. Transform us, O God, from getting here to being here. We're going to do something a little differently today.

I have learned that I cannot do this alone - but I have also learned that I do not have to do this alone.

Just like we planned!

No comments: